Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine, pushed back Friday on President Donald Trump’s decision to use a “pocket rescission” to cancel nearly $5 billion in foreign aid that was previously approved by Congress.
“Given that this package was sent to Congress very close to the end of the fiscal year when the funds are scheduled to expire, this is an apparent attempt to rescind appropriated funds without congressional approval,” Collins said in a statement.
“GAO has concluded that this type of rescission is unlawful and not permitted by the Impoundment Control Act,” she said, referring to the Government Accountability Office. “Article I of the Constitution makes clear that Congress has the responsibility for the power of the purse. Any effort to rescind appropriated funds without congressional approval is a clear violation of the law.”
Read more at Newsmax© 2025 Newsmax. All rights reserved.